Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. I would love to be able to compare multiple lists / outlines that share items side by side - clear visualization of what they have in common and what is different

225 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Something along the lines of Sciplore (See Sciplore.org). But, rather than tying the reference management to the plex, create an interface or somehow program PB to link & talk to programs such as EndNote, Zotero, Mendeley, Citavi). This'd be a huge boon in academic research.

209 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. To be able to create our own addons. To be able to customize PB even more than is possible today.
    Just like I can easily add support to sync my bookmarks between different computers I would like to be able to download an addon to do the same with my brain, or even sync my bookmarks with my brain.
    The possibilities are endless, in stead of just one team implementing new features all of us will contribute to making PB even better in the future

199 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to be able to save Reports (i.e. a combination of tags/thought types/dates etc.)...and includes them in the Plex as a kind of smart Thought (with the contents of the Report as its children).

This is similar the kind of 'smart folder' found in lots of OS X outliners like DevonThink and Mori, or similar to simple Tinderbox agents, or even an Evernote saved search.

186 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. It would be cool to support WikiWords. For instance, if BenFranklin were mentioned in the notes for five different thoughts, going to any of those thoughts would show the other four as jump thoughts.

184 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Thought content may be derived from mathematical and string operations performed on: thought content, thought, link and structure metadata (e.g. totals of link types, nested levels, totals of siblings / children, etc.) and system info / environment variables.

148 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow the Brain owner in a TeamBrain to define and assign different "Roles" to other brain users in the team. Each role could be defined as a set of permissions that TeamBrain admins can set.

Also add a third property to each though that specify its visibility scope according to the roles.

This could help the brain admin of concealing sensitive information from other users in the brain... and that is a key issue in hierarchical organization...

The concept is very simple actually, and i know it is not difficult to program...

I think by adding this feature... TheBrain and…

144 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. What if we could:
    (a) Specify that certain groups of thoughts consitute a ‘thought group’.

(b) Easily link a thought to all of the thoughts in a selected thought group
    (c) Specify the link type used by each of the thoughts in the thought group when it gets linked to a thought (in step b). If we want to, it should be possible to specify a different link type for each of the thoughts of a though group.

If this suggestion is implemented along with http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/107023-links-having-an-attribute, then the following suggestion could be implemented without any further work: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/70182-node-types-with-structured-meta-data-

130 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Because I like to track things over time the way I'm using PB link categories are often determined by time. E.g. when linking persons to projects I constantly have to manage 3 types of link categories manually: future, current and past. The same approach is used in many relationships: person to person, person to department and so on.

It would be much easier if PB would offer two additional fields in the link properties: start and end. Based on these two properties one could define up to three dependent link categories. PB would then be able to change the link…

117 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. This was likely suggested before, but many of the relationships I deal with are reciprocal/feedback/dialectical where the child of the parent in turn affects the parent, effectively becoming its parent's parent. Feedback relationships of this kind are crucial to modeling the world and should be possible in PB.

113 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. some easy (intuitive) way to turn a brain into a check-able to do list and / or flowchart
    whose execution is reflected (somehow) on brain...

109 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Be able to record a set of steps and execute these steps any time later on any thought or a selection of thoughts.

For example, I've added a new thought and I want to give it a ToDo style.

• Apply ToDo tag
    • Assign thought type
    • Add calender reminder

These macro's should also work for all thoughts in a selection. Similar to how you can assign a type or tag now to the selection.

Preferably the macro should be editable as well. Macro complexity doesn't have to be high, just simle commands such as "apply tag 'ToDo'" or "assign colour 'green'"…

106 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. There is a Google Calendar sync in the PB 6 beta. It would be great to have Google Contacs sync as well. I think it may be linked to the "node types with structured meta data" idea.

For example, node type "Google Contact" would have fields First name, Last name, Group, Photo etc. and would sync with Google.

P.S. Don't you think a "Gmail" node type is also a must have feature?

102 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I've tried to like Outlook. I really have -- just so I could use the Outlook-compatible features in Brain. But every time I go from my nice, clean Thunderbird interface to the visual and security mess that is Outlook, I start to cry. If you could support Thunderbird I'd be really, really happy.

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. We already have the option to move a file into a Brain, rather than simply provide a shortcut. Webpages are transitory and it is entirely possible for a link to a web page to fail. It would be really helpful if the web page could also be imported into the Brain, providing a 'hard copy'.

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  17 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It would be useful to be able to two or more identical thoughts, hit merge, the two become one. The two thoughts are merged, the thoughts links, notes, are merged. The two thoughts do not even need to be identical.

If types are used and both thoughts are in the same family then the the most generic thought type will be used. If the thought types are dissimilar then the user can select either of the type for the merged thought, or accept the use a new system created hyphenated type, or they can enter their own type. I guess…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a new report in TheBrain 9 that locates thoughts with the same name so that they can be merged or otherwise adjusted. A “merge thoughts” capability is planned.

This command will be included in the next major release, version 12.

17. 85 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Currently, Brain support the ability to import OWL files. It would be nice to see Brain support the exporting on OWL files or at least RDF files. Additionally, to get product visibility to the Semantic community, incorporate support to a triple store database such as Franz Inc. open source AllegroGraph or Oracle 11g. Formalizing your product for the Semantic Web could open new markets and accelerate sales

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. It's great that PB finally supports importing data from other applications, now how about adding the ability to export it to these same apps? I do realize that the PB data structure allows for more sophisticated connection types than conventional mindmapping and outliner apps. These connection types can lead to circular references, which would be difficult to export as a conventional outline. Therefore, I would suggest that this export function operate as follows:

1. Ignore all jump links. Jump links are used for non parent-child relationships and thus have no meaning in a structure that his strictly hierarchical.

2. The export process…

82 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. For those unfamiliar, LaTeX is a very flexible typesetting language that allows full control of anything from simple formatting to the proper display of complex formulas.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX and http://www.latex-project.org/

I think adding the ability to parse and display LaTeX code could greatly enhance functionality without really increasing complexity of the user interface. This is a great program to store and represent just about any idea that can easily be expressed in text. I am however, sorely missing two features:
    -The ability to input cleanly formatted formulas.
    -The ability quickly draw small pictures/graphs/schematics withing the program to add them directly…

79 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?