Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. The only way to find my posts with 0 votes is to click Top > Show More about 10 times till all threads are listed. Even my profile won't display posts with 0 votes (caused by my having to rob them of votes in order to post more submissions).

Maybe I've overlooked a simple link to Show All, but I don't think so.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Usual way to "move" link from one parent to another is to link to the new then unlink the old.

Shift+link does it in one step but unfortunately makes new parent the exclusive parent, i.e., unlinks other parents, some of which may be hidden.

I would like to see Ctrl+link added. This checks list of child's parents for Active thought and unlinks from it at the same time.

For discussion, see:
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31410564&postcount=9

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The right half of PB toolbar is reserved for pinning icons of frequently accessed Brains. Clicking an icon closes the current Brain and replaces it with the selected Brain, i.e., opens it in the same instance of PB.

I would like the selected Brain's RH context menu to have an additional Open option named Open in New Instance, so that a new instance of PB is created and the selected Brain opened in that for temporary use. This might take a little longer to open but we can continue to work on our currently opened Brain while waiting. When…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Isn't it crazy that (in Windows) the Hotkey only works when Auto-hide is on, and then only to unhide PersonalBrain? It's not a toggle key, i.e., there's no keyboard shortcut for hiding PB!

See
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31832732&postcount=7

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Hold down Shift+Ctrl when dragging a Thought off the Pin bar and release to unpin it without creating a new link (as simply dragging it does now).

Hold down Shift+Ctrl when creating a link between pinned Thought and any other Thought in the plex. This not only creates the new link but automatically unpins the pinned Thought.

See
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31910382&postcount=6

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add "Label" to Arrange Thoughts by menu so I can order thoughts as I please by cleverly filling the label field. I also suggest having multiple and numbered Label fields (e.g., Label 1, Label 2, etc. and being able to arrange thoughts by any one of these fields. All non-blank label fields will be displayed on mouse-over.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Since PersonalBrain works as a search engine for personal information, it should have a search history like ordinary search engine.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. While using PersonalBrain, we add and update Thoughts manually. If we have dynamic Thoughts, these tasks may be done automatically. Here I mean Thoughts with code binded: a function in an external dll or exe executed periodically.
    When the corresponding code is executed, result is returned as a predefined xml file, then content in the file added to the Thought as its children. Before adding the new Thoughts, a dialogue can show up for overwrite or keep existing Thoughts.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Sometimes, when I am working under a central Thought, I want to open an E-mail attached or invoke a program linked to another distant Thought. Then I use instant activation search. But I need to go back after opening the wanted attachment.
    In such a situation, a setting of opening attachments without Thought activation can make it quicker--"two clicks saved". A "Shift+Click" or "Ctrl+Click" way can be used to achieve this.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The title is self explain. It's faster.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a Keywords field to Properties & Attachments to store keywords, aka aliases. Keywords in this field to be available to Instant Search.

Even better, P&A to be added to Create Child Dialog box so all data can be entered before new thought created, not afterwards.

Full discussion here:
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3387357

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I am a one-brain scheme follower.

In PersonalBrain, I get lost easily, because I forget what I want to do initially, while jumping from Thought to Thought.

Future version of PersonalBrain can help me out of this trouble by introducing the concept of Project/Workspace, which is widely used in IDEs for software development and project management softwares.

Take a look at the popular text editor ultraedit's screenshot here: http://foliovision.com/images/2008/01/ultraedit-screenshot.gif.

What I recommend is a new area(or areas) in Plex similiar to the 12th area in the screenshot, which can be .displayed dynamically on left/right sides of Plex.

Three views…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. adding a menu item to also copy a thought's type on its right click context menu for pasting to another thought makes assigning thought types much quicker in on-the-fly situations and would be very useful

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Originally posted here: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3419904

I succeeded to convert some old freemind files into BrainXML format. But when I import them into PB, the creation datetime and modification datetime in the brainxml are not preserved. The same is true when I paste Thoughts.

For historical events recorded in freemind, these datetimes are very important.

Can a global option be made to set how to dwell with these datetimes?

Since I am eager to combine those freemind files, I have to know when this can be achieved.

Wei

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Use either an established wiki nomenclature (I prefer dokuwiki) as a "command line" approach to creating and editing brains. Let the PB interface be the WYSIWYG view, and the wiki-text the edit view, if desired.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hi all,

One idea I would like to see is a brain distribution for the Java 2 Micro Edition. Converting from Java 1.6 SE to J2ME would allow the application to run on smart phones and most importantly the Blackberry system. Corporate users once exposed to this product would start demanding the enterprise edition.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Recommend export to clean HTML version that is more mobile-friendly (no animations, etc).

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Rather than export -- sync or constaintly update/save a preferred HTML version (simple, sitebrain, or other at user's preference). This would allow me to download my brain to my smartphone or PDA for mobile use using any available sync method without additional steps.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I usually use presentation mode to - well - present to an audience. But after leaving PB idle for a while, the windows screensaver starts. In other presentation applications (like MS Powerpoint), the windows screensaver is disabled during presentations.
    Would be great if this feature could be implemented in PB as well.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. By adding or moving this command to the Thought context menu it becomes instantly available to any Thought visible in the Plex, not just the Active Thought. Adding single Thoughts to Selection is something I do frequently. Ctrl+Clicking a single Thought is inefficient and requires two hands. For further discussion see http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3500385

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?