Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. Hold down Shift+Ctrl when dragging a Thought off the Pin bar and release to unpin it without creating a new link (as simply dragging it does now).

Hold down Shift+Ctrl when creating a link between pinned Thought and any other Thought in the plex. This not only creates the new link but automatically unpins the pinned Thought.

See
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31910382&postcount=6

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I suggest that a thought or notes or even tags can have several languages. The language should be switchable with respective buttons (showing country flag for example). So you can enter a thought in French and if you like switch to English and enter the English thought name. For sure hotkeys will be necessary as switching would occur quite often. This is helpful for international presentations etc. Creating a thought with two or three languages all put to the name of the thought for example does not really work, you loose overview easily, not to mention notes in several languages.

340 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I suggest that you enable drag-and-drop for locations / folders from Google Earth. At the moment one has to save the *.kmz files and then add them as an attachment. It works, but is not very handy.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I don't know about you other guys, but I find myself needing this option ON at some times and OFF at others. Changing it occurs fairly frequently, so please let's have a keyboard shortcut assigned, say a function key, to avoid having to drill down through Options > Preferences > UI just to reach it.

See also
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3298286

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Like the Visual Thesaurus it would be nice to have a way to visually map one's social networks so we can see who's connected to whom in the bigger picture. It would be great to see the relationships. Be nice if was an add-in to Facebook so we don't have to build and update them manually

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. As described here: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3291879

I would like to propose that the Expanded View have a "Snap to Grid" option for anchoring thoughts in the plex. Similar to other snap to grid options in programs like Microsoft Visio, this would help out with spacing and aligning anchored thoughts. When draging the thought structure (panning) around the plex the grid would drag with the thoughts. There should be an option in the user preferences to define the size of the grid squares (maybe something like 50, 100, or 200 pixels, etc.).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I would like to export and import all the personal settings I have used for my brain. Like thought types and their settings (Icon, Color, etc.). I am used to my set of thought types and it's no fun to create all these settings from scratch when I create a new brain.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Having the plex on the desktop and not an app would allow users to see the plex by hiding applications. Also allow users to drag from apps to plex without having to move windows all around. I could really see this being a powerful tool for me if that was possible.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Isn't it crazy that (in Windows) the Hotkey only works when Auto-hide is on, and then only to unhide PersonalBrain? It's not a toggle key, i.e., there's no keyboard shortcut for hiding PB!

See
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31832732&postcount=7

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It would help to invert text and background, or add a user-definable background, for the thought selected in the Reports, Selection and Instant Search listed.

The thin green frame around the selected thought isn't visible enough. The color inversion should move up and down as the list is scrolled, showing which thought (or thoughts, in future) are currently selected.

This applies specially to Selection Box, where white frames make the green frame nearly invisible.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The right half of PB toolbar is reserved for pinning icons of frequently accessed Brains. Clicking an icon closes the current Brain and replaces it with the selected Brain, i.e., opens it in the same instance of PB.

I would like the selected Brain's RH context menu to have an additional Open option named Open in New Instance, so that a new instance of PB is created and the selected Brain opened in that for temporary use. This might take a little longer to open but we can continue to work on our currently opened Brain while waiting. When…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Be able to record a set of steps and execute these steps any time later on any thought or a selection of thoughts.

For example, I've added a new thought and I want to give it a ToDo style.

• Apply ToDo tag
    • Assign thought type
    • Add calender reminder

These macro's should also work for all thoughts in a selection. Similar to how you can assign a type or tag now to the selection.

Preferably the macro should be editable as well. Macro complexity doesn't have to be high, just simle commands such as "apply tag 'ToDo'" or "assign colour 'green'"…

106 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. I've got hundreds of the same kind of link. I'd like to be able to set them all at once to a particular link type (with color and width attributes)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. It would be wonderful to complete the cycle by not only drag and drop from outlook to brain but also from brain to outlook.
    Automatic Sycnronization will be major accomplishment. Having all the Brain information on our PDA (PocketPC) or blackberry....through tools that we already using with Outlook can be a great help to us. This way we can have on our PDAs events, task, calendars etc...integrated on our mobile devices
    Regards
    Jean Stephan

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. The PersonalBrain Tips window should include the button "Show all tips", or this should be made a separate Help menu option, to make it unnecessary to click through the whole list just to find a tip, or to refresh our memory of them.

They should also be included as a separate appendix in the User Guide.

C'mon, show us yer tips!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. option to distinct between more important and less important thoughts. e.g. make the more often used thoughts appear bigger or clearer (as opposed to less used thoughts being more transparent/opaque), or make the font appear bigger/smaller. Or implement visual preview thumbnails of document files, esp. websites, presentations, pictures and graphics (like when hovering over the tabs of Internet Explorer or Opera. Or more directions (3D) encircling a thought (surrounding it) like a spherical or at least surrrounded thought.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I use music files a lot as a DJ. So I work with beaTunes which is a Java based program that classifies music with additional parameters (mood, speed in BPM).
    It would be nice if I could turn my music database information into a spiderweb in Personal brain. Or simply turn music files that I play the most often into my brain (like in last.fm) into information in my PersonalBrain.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. PersonalBrain looks ideal for managing genalogy hierachy with attached notes and images to each item. I suggest that you add the ability to import/export genealogy files in the GedCom format .

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Much is made of the ability to assign types to every link we create between thoughts. Auto-formatttng of these is also really powerful. So, it's disappointing that these types (and any formatting, including even the type label) are ignored when creating and publishing SiteBrains. End users of SiteBrains would really benefit from the ability to see these types, when hovering with their mouse, or auto-displayed in the plex.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. PB displaying date/time in Windows format is IMO only a bandaid approach. I don't like Long date (which is what we get) in Notes. I would like Short date in format 2008-01-31, Forget about time.

Way to please everyone is to create user-definable date/time format within PB, plus a keyboard shortcut such as Ctrl+D which automatically inserts it into Notes.

See also
    http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/68483-dates-shown-in-us-format-in-search-list

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?