Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

That idea has been deleted

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

76 results found

1. I take notes on the fly using other products and it's a stupid shame that I rarely use TB to do so. Doesn't it make sense to laser focus in on a shortened process for users and potential users to be able to view TB as the ideal note taking product/service that competes head on with the plethora of note taking apps that shall ultimately disappear? I like the idea of The Brain Box being re-imagined as the in-box for ideas and web snapshots to be used later when using TB desktop or web client.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Sometimes you have thoughts that have some formal longer name, like there are companies named "International Consolidated Airlines Group SA" in real life. But when you refer to it in your notes with a shorter name, the reference won't be recognized.

Now, you don't want to fully write out this name each time, but you also don't want to manually create a link each time you write shorter version like "ICAG SA", not only would that be a work-around, often you actually don't want to create a clickable link at all and just leave it with a dotted underline, but…

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. For example, the expanded view in version 8 allowed saving and loading of a user-configurable set of thoughts set at particular locations.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Both thoght nodes and notes support MathJax mathematical formulas to solve the problem of inability to input in subjects such as physics and chemistry. In addition, the formulas can support Chinese and other non-English characters.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Similar to how it is supported in GitHub. See https://mermaid.js.org/

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow me as a user to host my own sync service that I can use for air-gapped networks. This would allow me to share my brain with my local devices that cannot directly reach the Internet.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I would like to be able to change link types all at once, similar to being able to changing types all at once. You can go to a parent thought and link all to children, so I think by this same logic you should be able to easily implement something like a change multiple link types at once. I use this a lot for families and showing lines of succession. I have siblings and spouses, children, etc. Having something like this would quickly be able to make my link type visible as something like "Sibling", "Parent/Child" or "Spouse". Out of…

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. With many people working on large monitors, the Pin bar could be much more powerful. Please consider making it full screen width. Part 2 is to make it two lines deep via pulling down with the cursor. Related forum post

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/could-you-please-make-the-pin-bar-and-history-bar-fullcreen-wide-8288-13374940

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add the ability to manually sort thoughts under a parent.
    Currently can use hidden numbering, however this is hard to maintain if the sorting needs to be adjusted, especially changing number in the middle of the sort.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Currently, the note editor is restricted to the 'active' thought. However, I would like to edit thought notes in an integrated continuous way (like the scrivenings mode in Scrivener). This would allow me to work on content more easily that is distributed across notes (such as scenes of a novel.

The notes could be separated with a dotted line for example, and when moving in the note editor to other notes, the relevant thought in the plex is navigated to automatically. This would be amazing, as you would always have your relevant brain-part available to you as you focus on…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. The way AI is implemented in theBrain is not a really assistant as e.g. Github Copilot. So it should have agents e.g. prompts starting with "@" and context ones e.g. prompts start with "/" which shall replace the existent ones in "notes" tool. Also as an AI assistant as a chat.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The note indicator in the Plex area and the back link in the note area can be hovered for viewing and editing like the Hover Editor plug-in in Obsidian. This is simply great. We need more powerful note editing functions.

The recent list below the Plex area allows you to view older ideas by scrolling the mouse wheel, which is very useful for users with small screens.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have, in the note content editing area, a tool that allows us to use Markdown structure templates. Today, we can do this by tinkering a bit and using third-party files or external tools. For example, I use the third-party tool Lepton.

Ideally, this function should be integrated into TheBrain tool to save time and increase efficiency.

For example, I would like to quickly call up the following note structures:
    - Footer note template (link to similar topics, update date, and copyright)
    - Meeting note template (date, location, subject, participants, summary, and actions...)
    - Contact note template
    - Book note template…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I save many PDFs as child thoughts under a parent that describes the area of research those pdfs are relevant to. It would be useful for AI note generation to be able to use the contents of the PDFs. In this way a thought that contains a PDF could have a summary of the PDF as a note and I wouldn't have to open the PDF and read it entirely to know what it contains. Similarly, the parent though could contain a summary of the PDFs contained in its child thoughts. While I have focussed here on PDFs, this could…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Currently the only way to customize thought backgrounds, a valid use case on its own, is by assigning a type that has one associated by it. This renders the typing system useless.

So for my (creative) work flow, I want to assign backgrounds and types, but they are not linked. Types are supposed to work cross cutting across the plex, but this breaks if your background-requirements are not exactly the same.

It would make more sense to have background simply a property of thought itself. Or of tags with some sort of priority system, but that would be complicated in…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The Mindmap Layout is unique in that clicking and activating a node doesn't navigate to it. For bulk thought updates (like renumbering them for example, or mass note updates), this is super useful!

But why not enable this mode of thought activation in any Layout? There's plenty of space next to the Layout button to switch between 'normal' mode and 'locked navigation' mode.

Or else allow a ctrl-shift click on a thought (or similar) to activate without navigating.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In code blocks color the content using the syntax of the coding language (auto-detect and/or utilize the language specified at the top of the code block)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I want to find thoughts that mention a specific word or phrase.

All search tools use a special operator for this: quotation marks, but not TheBrain Desktop and Vulcan. Actually, put quotation marks around any word or phrase, such as ["advanced search"], will show all throught that contain any words in phrase.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Putting a search query in quote finds exact matches of the phrase and shows them first. Additional matches that contain all the words in the phrase are also shown. Given that, is the goal of request to eliminate these "extra" results?

19. The fonts of paragraphs and headings at all levels in the note style can be set individually just like in the theme settings. and it is useful to solve the problem of personalization of notes for users from non-English speaking countries by directly calling the fonts installed in the system, especially to solve the problem of abnormal rendering of English characters when mixing Chinese and English, which is more conducive to the internationalization of TheBrain.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 8 votes