Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. Option to import external txt files (txt, rtf, html, xml, ...) into PB as thought automatically copies its content (or portion of it) inside notes panel.
    If files are changed, content is updated on request or on thought selection.
    Advantages:
    1) files are left in their original folder structure, available for editing with other applications
    2) by using relative links, external files can be 'ported' together brain file
    3) user could navigate external files as thoughts linked to the other PB thoughts and immediately read the content (as snapshot or portion of it for quick navigation, then as full updated…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Where we could choose a Thought and under it have all email in inbox and tasks when deleted or completed in brain would mark them so in Outlook and Vice Versa

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. PB by design does everything on the horizontal, from thoughts to tools, including HTML notes in that odd wide screen. Now that we can move our tools to the sides, the horizontal dimension is crammed. PB should try to show the active thought in its entirety by word-wrapping it in a rounded rectangle, rather than truncating it. Just a more intensive use of center space.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. In OS X it is easy to make your application scriptable. Then one can integrate the Brain in a workflow, automate tasks and many more interesting things.

And see to that you get an iPhone version out soon!

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Usual way to "move" link from one parent to another is to link to the new then unlink the old.

Shift+link does it in one step but unfortunately makes new parent the exclusive parent, i.e., unlinks other parents, some of which may be hidden.

I would like to see Ctrl+link added. This checks list of child's parents for Active thought and unlinks from it at the same time.

For discussion, see:
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=31410564&postcount=9

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. The only way to find my posts with 0 votes is to click Top > Show More about 10 times till all threads are listed. Even my profile won't display posts with 0 votes (caused by my having to rob them of votes in order to post more submissions).

Maybe I've overlooked a simple link to Show All, but I don't think so.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently if I take 1 vote away from a 1-vote idea in order to submit another, the original idea which now has 0 votes is dropped from the list of "Your Ideas" on the RH side of the page.

That means I can't see it or search for all my ideas with 0 votes by using my login. This sucks.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improve finding duplicate thought names in Reports list

1) For 2 thoughts with duplicate names, display "< [parent name]" as happens in Instant Search and Create Child.
    2) Add "Duplicate Thoughts" filter to Reports to save us from having to wade through All, in a big brain.

For further discussion see
    http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3246643

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I know there's a request up for Multiple Notes windows, and I support it. But I don't consider the following a duplicate.

Even if it's impractical to flip notes up all over the Plex, surely we need a second Notes window in the Tools system. While "activating" one thought for update, we also "visit" other thoughts for reference and borrowing.

That's why there's also a request out to remember cursor positions in notes as we navigate thoughts. But the real difficulty is that we're using a single Notes window for both purposes. And without that second Notes window, we're always…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I frequently need to copy the shortcut from a thought to paste into an email or another program.

To do this now requires navigating to the thought or popping up the Properties and Attachments window, followed by copying the shortcut from the Properties window.

Please add a "Copy Shortcut" option to the context (right-click in Windows) menu for a thought, perhaps greyed out or omitted if the thought does not have a "shortcut" / address attachment.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. These would be some good features, especially if having small font in PB:

• Make the distant thoughts zoom up when having the mouse pointer or the green ring over them.
    • Make the green ring be able to access the distant thoughts as well as the main thoughts.
    0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Currently, when you paste thoughts, you don't have control over the content that gets pasted. It would be useful to have options allowing you to NOT paste associated notes, attachments and children, for example.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. What if we could:
    (a) Specify that certain groups of thoughts consitute a ‘thought group’.

(b) Easily link a thought to all of the thoughts in a selected thought group
    (c) Specify the link type used by each of the thoughts in the thought group when it gets linked to a thought (in step b). If we want to, it should be possible to specify a different link type for each of the thoughts of a though group.

If this suggestion is implemented along with http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/107023-links-having-an-attribute, then the following suggestion could be implemented without any further work: http://thebrain.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/70182-node-types-with-structured-meta-data-

130 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Links currently only have a ‘Link Type’. What if each link could have an attribute as well, which could be a piece of text such as a note. In the first instance, short of a more sophisticated approach (where maybe, optionally, the link attribute is displayed permanantly in the plex), this attribute could be displayed when the mouse is hovered over the link. Currently, when the mouse hovers over a link with a particular type, the link type is displayed. This proposal suggests a link attribute should also be displayed in this situation, probably in a different font colour etc.…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hi,

When I drag 'n drop an Outlook contact into PB, the name is copied following this convention by default:
    <first name> <middle name> <last name>

I would love an option in the PB preferences to use other masks / conventions, like:
    <middle name> <last name>, <first name>

This way, the Outlook contacts in my PB will match the convention I've used for all other names of people in my brain. Searching and finding will be easier.

Thanks,

Koen

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. My workflow consists a lot of overviewing a large amount of data at once. It frequently happens that I have an idea that I need to enter into one of the displayed thought's notes.

When I click on the thought to edit it's note. It totally rearranges my screen.

I would like to be able to "select" that thought and edit it's notes rather than "go to" or "activate" the thought I click on.

I think left click could be "goto" and "select" could be found in the context menu by right clicking, or the other way around.

Whenever the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When you do an export to either sitebrain html or simple html, the files that are linked to end up being part of the generated web site, rather than links. This is a problem because (a) the exported site can be unnecessarily large (potentially GB or tens of GB), and (b) you might actually want the site to link to objects (such as documents) rather than maintain copies (which can become out of date, etc.). There should at least be an option to generate pages that include links rather than making copies of objects that are linked to.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It's all very good one person using a brain at a time - it's great as a personal organisational tool. However, I believe the software has the potential to reach a LOT more people by having a "player" version. This could be implemented by something as simple as a switch on the command line. This way the only things you see when you open the program are the top 50% showing the plex and the bottom 50% showing the notes tab. Other tabs aren't neccesary. Most importantly, thoughts can't be moved or links amended.

For me, this would enable me…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. To be able to create our own addons. To be able to customize PB even more than is possible today.
    Just like I can easily add support to sync my bookmarks between different computers I would like to be able to download an addon to do the same with my brain, or even sync my bookmarks with my brain.
    The possibilities are endless, in stead of just one team implementing new features all of us will contribute to making PB even better in the future

199 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. As per current design of PB5, it is not possible to show children thoughts more than once in an expanded outline view. So, if let's say "Marc" is a child thought of "Friends" and "Students", in expanded outline view "Marc" will only be shown as a child thought of "Friends". Thus, displaying thoughts in a comprehensive hierarchical fashion (as it is the case for instance in the outline view in MS Word) is not possible in the current version of PB. I would suggest to have an option in PB applying to the outline view which allows the user to…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?