Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. Usually when I download or save a file from softwares into a Thought's folder (i.e. to link to that thought), I rename the file to the Thought's name (As long as there are no illegal characters inside as a filename). In this way, the file is searchable by its related Thought's name outside PersonalBrain.
    So all theBrain guys need to do is add a context menuitem to a Thought's context menu.

There could be many tricks (or patterns) to use PersonalBrain in a efficient way, within the newest features PersonalBrain provides. We can discover the patterns and make them more…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Now when pasting outline, Personal Brain will prompt for a list of action to take when there has been already some thought with the same name. This is very useful when creating inter-linked map. Then why not make this available to import?
    Another issue when people import or paste is the frequent refresh of Plex. That's not necessary and consumes CPU, which may make the import or paste process much slower.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Data sinkholes like this Forum are exactly what Brain handles best. It's a long list of random items, most of which are arbitrarily hidden. The early, visible items perpetuate their prominence by crowding out the others.

Brain users outgrew systems like this for their own fact-gathering. We need our Thoughts accessible, tagged and linked rather than buried. Same principle applies here. I don't think this forum is fulfilling its promise of a meaningful viewing and user vote on ideas...though I'm sure the PB team will recognize the ones with merit.

This forum could, at any rate, use a blog-style keyword…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Numerical tallies displayed on the (active?) thought showing how many descendants have a particular tag set. Great for finding to-dos, reviewing status on projects, etc

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Normal View in 4.5 only shows two levels of hierarchy (parent and active thoughts), leaving the child level to hold "content" thoughts. Much of the content we mirror in PB is in fact hierarchical, and extends much deeper than two levels of "folders" (e.g. SharePoint structures tend to get quite deep).

Normal View, effectively the "hierarchical view" in PB, is unlike Distant Thought view (Normal view with "+" pressed) and Expanded View, which are better suited for navigating in a non-hierarchal way. Both of these options display additional relationships for all thoughts on screen and/or require manual intervention to keep…

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I use personalbrain for collect and manage all my files.
    I can search fast within files and folders names embedded in personalbrain folders

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. "Paste Web Link" doesn't "un-escape" urls very well, if at all. Especially for long SharePoint links, this results in thought names filled with escapes such as %20 and unreadable thought names.

Please%20vote%20for%20%idea!

Editing such thought names is one of the most frequent operations I need to to in PB4.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add folding/unfolding of children by thought. "Folding" is a standard feature in all good code/text editors because of its usefulness. This very useful feature is available in Freemind and Inspiration. Can have a small button on each thought to show or hide its children. Might have option so plex focus doesn't change when this button is hit allowing selective unfolding of thoughts. More selective then "Expanding"

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    thebrain responded

This is already available in the Outline view of version 5. If you mean something different, please explain. Thanks.

10. Selection should offer following mass operations
    a) add / remove content to/from Label
    b) search & replace in Notes
    optional:
    a with search /replace

was originally posted in http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3006101;
    have removed tags because already done!

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. While we are using personalbrain in a inter-connected way, sometimes we need a traditional table view. Here I recommend a view object to be connected to Thoughts, when one of the Thought is activated, the corresponding view shows in another layer of Plex. The views can be timeline, flowchart, table, Logic, positions in a image, even another part of the same brain(another plex) and more. The final aim is to make good use of various kinds of views to present knowledge stored in a brain.

754 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When the Beta version is downloaded (Apple version) it comes in with the same name as the current 4.5 version. This can be confusing especially if you want to run both versions. I think it would be 'beta' to set it up to allow both versions to run on the same computer, which can be done at the present so long as the files are not mixed, but with the Beta running under a different name or alternatively a different coloured banner (this is the PersonalBrian.app file). This applies both to the downloaded file name and to the running programme…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Particularly if a new thought is activated anyway, please offer a Preference to indicate that the new Thought has been created without the pulsing, tedious, highly distracting animation.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When an Outlook email is dropped into PB the text shows in PB Notes. Can the notes in a Calendar or Task event, dropped into PB, also be similarly be shown?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add regex to all searches, instead of just wildcard.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Idea is that you would be able to show either only past due, alternatively all future ones, or even show all done and to be done between a certain time frame from the past to the future by using time parameters.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Similar to MindManager's send to new map feature, users should be able to select a thought and create a new brain with that thought as the home thought and all (or some depending on user preference) connected thoughts moved or copied to the new brain.

Users could determine what level of connectedness they wanted moved/copied (sibling/peer, child, jump - 1 level or more, etc).

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Before Brain, I maintained ideas as Outlook tasks, each of which could listed within multiple categories. Presently there's no good import. I can, however, drag an entire category of tasks into a Thought that matches the Outlook category name. The tasks then become attachments with active links. Not bad!

Now I should be able to right click somewhere to turn each such attachment into a child of the Thought that contains it. So it has its own identity and links within Brain's hierarchy.

And if the attachment is associated with another Thought, Brain should offer to multi-parent as well as…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In PB v3.x I could resize a docked window to about ~90% of the opposite side. Now, PB v5.x (maybe even PB 4?) does not allow me to resize a docked window. I would prefer to have the option of resizing docked windows.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I suggest this should be implemented as a choice for all thoughts, in a selection, in a report and in search results.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?