Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. Include a new link option in the pop-up menu on a link. It would bring up the standard new thought dialog and the resulting thought would be inserted splitting the link into two links. It would maintain the link type relationships.

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. It would be very useful to be able select multiple links, just as you can do with thoughts and perform mass-manipulation on them. Control-click a few links and they appear in the selection box on the left. From there you could easily set all links to one-way, or modify the type, etcetera.

Also similar to how you can select All child thoughts of a thought by control-click on the coloured circle it would be nice if could select all child/jump/parent links, e.g. by control-alt-click or something like that.

70 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Like the option for expanded views.

70 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. This will let me rotate my brains and see the more important ideas connected in a stellar clusters. The idea 'under work' will be bigger, closer and somehow activated. This is a basic neuronal visual structure.

68 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I often use the note links feature to create wiki-style notes within PB, however I would like to suggest a couple of improvements to this feature:

1. There should be an option in the preferences settings to automatically create a corresponding jump link every time a note link is created. By definition, creating a note link means that the thought is related to the linked thought. If no link currenly exists, then PB should automatically create a jump link. The user would of course be able to remove the jump link or change it to a different type of link at…

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Normal View in 4.5 only shows two levels of hierarchy (parent and active thoughts), leaving the child level to hold "content" thoughts. Much of the content we mirror in PB is in fact hierarchical, and extends much deeper than two levels of "folders" (e.g. SharePoint structures tend to get quite deep).

Normal View, effectively the "hierarchical view" in PB, is unlike Distant Thought view (Normal view with "+" pressed) and Expanded View, which are better suited for navigating in a non-hierarchal way. Both of these options display additional relationships for all thoughts on screen and/or require manual intervention to keep…

65 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Evernote syncs across Mac, Web, PC, and iPhone. Direct linking to PB would be ideal; absent that, being able to export Evernote entries and import them as thoughts would be very helpful.

64 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be very nice if Expanded Views could be saved as attachments, and each thought could have one or more Expanded Views attached.

63 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I would like a multi-dimensional view of the plex .. allowing me to designate a rotation / side to view as front matter.. visualize a cube with side A (side facing the viewer) having x,y coordinates relating to thought type and relationship.. and a "z" coordinate relating to time (can be the thought creation date/time) now take this view and rotate to side B (cube face to the right of viewer). Now the x,y stay the same, but the "z" coordinate is a user defined dimension e.g. time related to the thought data content. Further rotations would exhibit other diminsional…

62 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I found a quite simple correlation in my use scenario between number of links to/from a thought to its relevance/importance/informational value.

so I would like to see some functionality in PB making use of this. might be optional, as different people have different link-policies.
    but things like "sort by link number", relevance sorting for searches, thought cloud indicating more »weighing« thoghts by size etc.

(some older related discussion in the forum I found:
    http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2043108&highlight=links+number)

62 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Hello!

It is very nice to see the spotlight integration. Nevertheless, I would very much like to see full integration between the Brain's cal function and ical. Example: I would like to be able to create an event using iCal and then synchronize it with my brain's cal function. This way when I get to the office in the morning I could just look at today's to do list and see how the thoughts are linked etc...

Same idea for contacts...if you create a new contact either on your mac or iphone it would be great to be able to…

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When using "The Brain" for project planning, It would be nice to convert the database into a Gantt chart or something similar; maybe be able to import the plex into Microsoft Project.

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Where we could choose a Thought and under it have all email in inbox and tasks when deleted or completed in brain would mark them so in Outlook and Vice Versa

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make PB having a pluggable architecture, where additional static Thought types could be added. Those Thought types would be fixed at the Thought creation and can not be changed.

Those static Thought types would have their own user interface tabs, depending on the type. The Thought type would be like a sub-application to the brain, with its own preference setting and options.
    Third party programmers can create they own Thought type and plug it in to PB.

Anybody could add they own Thought type based on the PB pluggable integration specification.

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Selection should offer following mass operations
    a) add / remove content to/from Label
    b) search & replace in Notes
    optional:
    a with search /replace

was originally posted in http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3006101;
    have removed tags because already done!

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. It would be nice to have such a function available in the personal Pro Edition (or as additional module). Possibly there are some "rule" programming to do or you implement a "light" version which connects documents and powerpoints (...) with existing Thoughts If the indexing algorithm (which runs if i drop a document in the brain) finds a thought name which exists in the brain. So there could be a list of possible links to connect to this thought from which I could select the links that I want to create. Would be helpful to know how ThoughtSeeker works in…

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Many people use multiple applications to organise themselves, enjoying the benefits of each. Undoubtedly, their are many who use both Evernote and Personal Brain like me. Personal Brain should be able to sync to the Evernote server, using the Evernote API. This is much like other suggestions however I would like the ability to sync directly to the Evernote server and also to view Evernote notebooks as Brains. Nodes in the brains become both an Evernote note and a tag which is applied to itself and linking nodes. Personalbrain tags are also synced to Evernote. Evernote tags become nodes which…

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. I have a feature suggestion that may appeal to current and potential “Brain” users who are students, authors, professional researchers, and the like. I suspect that the feature in mind would make TheBrain very appealing to a healthy slice of the tens-of-thousands who use the popular open source research tool known as Zotero. I believe that TheBrain’s utility would be hugely multiplied if were able to interface with Zotero's API. Generally speaking, TheBrain could use Zotero’s data in the same vein that it now uses the Windows’ file system.
    For those not familiar with Zotero here is some info I…

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. In Google Calender one can have more than one type of calender entries, each assigned a different colour (e.g. for work, private, etc.), and embed extra calenders like the birthdays of your contacts.

PB only syncs only one type of calendar entries though. This renders the whole sync feature quite useless for real Google calender users. Please provide a sync to all entries! (For example: Import all events into PB, but export PB calender events to only one specific Google Calender type)

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable linking of information from Entourage into PersonalBrain.

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?