Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. Government IT policy prohibits the use of freeware programs due to legal liability issues. For this reason, PersonalBrain can not be loaded for general users as a PB Reader. Thus, it is not in common use and not growing in popularity as much as it should be.
    An LT version would allow the software to be used and thus give it more visability to potential users.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When using the smaller screen on my laptop, I usually have the notes/thought area hidden so that the Plex fills the entire screen. I've assigned a (Mac) keyboard shortcut (Command-Shift-n) to show the Notes window. This is great, and keeps the notes area out of the way until I need it, but it seems there's no way to close the Notes window again using the keyboard. I'd expect Command-w to work, or possibly Escape, but neither works.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. It would make it easier and neater for scientific/mathematical-type thoughts to be input.

No format (like it is now): C6H12O6 & 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 2x - 1
    With superscript/subscript format: (How it works in Microsoft Word 2007)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Please develop a tab for "Contacts", like the one The Brain has for "Calendar", where we can have the possibility to connect each and any contact to any and/or many thoughts in The Personal Brain.

So we can have the contact data structured in a database way with the possibility to order Ascending or Descending by any of the contact fields, clicking over the field title, and also to do queries to the Contacts table. Also with the vital feature to import all my contacts from my actual PIM into PB from a CSV file.

Thanks

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Now that the Brain version 7 has regained its capability to synchronize with Google calendar, it would be very useful to also develop synchronization capability with Google tasks and/or the leading independent tasks manager Toodledo. Thoughts good be created as usual but then could be designated as a task. The functionality behind that would allow the user to set a priority, a due date, a completion tag, etc.

Children of that thought (task) would be interpreted as subtasks. The task is not complete until any subtasks have been completed.

If the task is to be shared with other people, possibly…

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. from http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=5781324

With multifaceted thoughts it will be possible to contextualize each thought; type, tags, notes and links could be assigned to a thought in a context, others type, tags, notes and links to an other context, ...

Multifacettes examples :
    - One facette of the Bouygues Telecom company is to have been my employer, an other is to be my actual ISP and mobile phone furnisher,
    - one facette of me is to be a father, an other is an IT manager, a third one is a genealogist, ...
    - one facette of my sales process is to be…

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When a user adds Brain Buttons to the toolbar, they are fixed in the order that they were added to the toolbar.

It would be nice if the User could drag and drop the Brain Buttons on the toolbar so as to allow the User to re-arrange the order of the Brain Buttons.

This would be similar to the way a User can re-order Pins.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Ultimately, I think TheBrain is overpriced for student-use... The TeamBrain isn't even out of beta-testing, and with the student discount it is priced at $240 a year for the team-based product, or the individual version is $240 up-front and $159 a year.

I think you folks are missing an opportunity to build a following –a customer base. Many other companies seem to understand that if they can get people hooked on their products while learning in academia they can get them hooked for life.

Medical school is extremely collaborative -at least mine is. It's not competitive like undergrad when people…

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I have autostart activated, so TheBrain starts at boot time.
    Unfotunately that means it's always a race whether my WLAN or TheBrain is up first. In the latter case TheBrain permanently disables the syncing feature (because it thinks it is offline) - even if the internet connection is available seconds ago.
    That means I have to close TheBrain and open it again in order to be able to sync - so the "autostart convenience" is gone.
    (I know this could be circumvented by introducing a script that starts TheBrain after it ensured that the internet connection is there - or…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I think it would be a good idea to put 2 horizontal links instead of 1, one brother and one sister. For instance, I would put all the aspects between a planet on the left, like I did it in the file I sent you, and all the keywords associated to the planet on the right.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Extended layouts can be very useful to show informations in a very specific context. For that it could be rather helpful to be able to assign specific colors to ideas and links per extended view (For this to work best it would be good if one could assign layout-local colors to all ideas/links in the selection at the same time - or to reset the colors to the defaults for all selected elements correspondingly)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. In order to understand the "important" relationships better based on the spacial ordering it could help to have a toggle for links to define them as "weak". Weak links would be ignored when calculating the spacial layout of ideas in extended view (perhaps they are additionally painted with a thinner line thickness by default, they could even be globally hideable)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. It would be useful to be able to two or more identical thoughts, hit merge, the two become one. The two thoughts are merged, the thoughts links, notes, are merged. The two thoughts do not even need to be identical.

If types are used and both thoughts are in the same family then the the most generic thought type will be used. If the thought types are dissimilar then the user can select either of the type for the merged thought, or accept the use a new system created hyphenated type, or they can enter their own type. I guess…

89 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is a new report in TheBrain 9 that locates thoughts with the same name so that they can be merged or otherwise adjusted. A “merge thoughts” capability is planned.

This command will be included in the next major release, version 12.

16. Not the Print Plex but an output with the Thoughts and indented sub-thoughts and include any notes.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When I need to bring a Brain-resident file into a Gmail email or Facebook, or into anything else where you can't copy/paste the file itself, it's a multi-step process to get the file's full path. There has to be an easier way to get a file's full path into the clipboard, so my suggestion is that a "Copy File Path" selection be added to the menu that appears when you right-click an attachment. Thanks.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Humans don't keep their data in spreadsheets like this:

---------[COLUMN 1]---------- [COLUMN 2]
    [LINE 1]---Apples
    [LINE 2] ----------------------------Red
    [LINE 3]---Peppers
    [LINE 4] ----------------------------Red
    [LINE 5] ----------------------------Green

Humans keep their data in spreadsheets like this:

---------[COLUMN 1]---------- [COLUMN 2]
    [LINE 1]---Apples------------------ Red
    [LINE 2]---Peppers----------------Red
    [LINE 3]------------------------------Green

To reformat the data is no trivial task. I don't even mind importing 10 separate times to get 10 separate child thoughts for my 100 parent thoughts, but I certainly don't want to reformat 1000 thoughts because the import outline utility is not robust and has not improved since version 4.5 of the Brain.

I'd…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Think of it in terms of Microsoft Outlook's Calendars feature, but for links and thoughts in the brain.
    Choose to see just your links/thoughts, or any number of other users links/thoughts (permissions based of course).

Hardened Synapses: Administrator locked thoughts and links to/from specific thoughts. Cannot be forgotten, modified or unlinked from each other.
    Purpose: To create initial brain structure.

User Specific Links: Users make their own links and associations independent of other users.
    Purpose: Eliminate link overload for huge brains and allow individual users to link only what they want to themselves while still contributing to the brain as…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?