Skip to content

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Do you have an idea for TheBrain? Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? Contribute your ideas and vote for your favorites. Your feedback will help shape the future.

When posting ideas, please limit yourself to one idea per post – otherwise people can’t vote on each of your ideas.

TheBrain Feature Suggestions

Categories

1101 results found

1. It's all very good one person using a brain at a time - it's great as a personal organisational tool. However, I believe the software has the potential to reach a LOT more people by having a "player" version. This could be implemented by something as simple as a switch on the command line. This way the only things you see when you open the program are the top 50% showing the plex and the bottom 50% showing the notes tab. Other tabs aren't neccesary. Most importantly, thoughts can't be moved or links amended.

For me, this would enable me…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Currently we can Instant Search on thought names and tags, and tags have higher priorities than thought names.

If we could also Instant Search on labels, it would be great. And I think the priorities of labels should be lower than that of thought names, because usually alternative names are put into the labels.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Another cause of Brain Bloat? I hope not.

If you've given us the ability to attach URLs to our thoughts and notes, you should also incorporate the ability to automatically check them (termed verification), so that we can remove or edit any dead ones as they age. When a brain contains hundreds of URLs, we should not have to click each link in turn to see if it is still alive. Many bookmarks managers offer this feature, so think how many more copies of PB you would sell if people suddenly started using PB as their bookmarks manager, for which…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I would like to request an option to automatically create a brainzip when closing out of PB. I use PB at home and at the office and it is frustrating when I forget to update my thumb drive with the most recent brainzip to transfer from one location to another. Having an option to automatically save a brainzip to a thumb drive would help me to keep both locations in sync.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Personal Brain is one of the most advanced 'mind mapping and beyond' software titles I have ever seen. Yet, when it comes to customization of the look of the nodes, it's at the very bottom.

• one can either set color of node background or font... come on it's XXI century :-) on the top of that, I have to make 4 or 5 clicks before I set the color and I can't seem to set color for multiple selected nodes

• per node font type and size... again, it's XXI century :-)

• nodes with multiple lines of text... I need to…

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

TheBrain 9 now allows setting of both text and background color. Using tags, it is possible to include multiple icons on a thought.

Future plans include the ability to have multi-line thoughts and differing text sizes. This is fairly complex to do unfortunately since much of TheBrain’s dynamic capability is built around automated layout of thoughts, which is difficult when they can be of variable height.

6. 0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. This would look like a number of Personal Brain Connectors to the many and varied Social Media Websites. At it's basic level it would enable the Personal Brain to create Thoughts on the fly from RSS Feed(s). In the Mature Version when I added a Friend in say FaceBook they would be added in my Personal Brain with the Right Click giving me the option to jump to one of their many Social Media Spaces. Social Thoughts would show the number of unseen subordinate Thoughts.
    In short it would give me BACK control of my Social Space! (It is likely…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    • Allow users to assign field definitions to thought types
    • Make it easier to browse/search for thoughts of a certain type
    • Allow the user to pin thought types
    • Add a preference setting that would make PB prompt the user for the thought type when the thought is created
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Very often I split the note content between parent and child. Sometimes don't even know where to put exactly what part of the information. So only viewing both together gives the "full picture" what I want to remember. Would be perfect, if even the link could have a note.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. To be exact I am suggesting:

Whenever you add a webpage to the plex by dragging it's icon in the URL bar of a web browser to the plex, there should be an option such as a set of keys (e.g. holding down shift while dragging & dropping) that would cause PersonalBrain to actually capture the HTML and associated pictures from the webpage and place them in the "Notes" section.

Furthermore, I think this option should be further customized to allow one the option to actually attach the HTML file of the page you were looking at to the actual…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. That way, the user can just click on it to begin adding notes for the new thought, and then rename it and link it around. 

There are a couple of requests on file that express annoyance with the current process of creating a thought. Since it's based on creating a Child, it implies you've already navigated to the correct Parent. Then it compels you to name it before you express it. Not spontaneous. That pulsating green orb upon creation is the worst. Then it's a stored option to determine whether you've yet activated the new Thought, or must still navigate…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Establish a reserved "Calendar" tag and auto-tag every thought linked to a calendar date. A refinement of optional date rages (e.g., today, week, month, all) to limit the display to thoughts "calendared" in that range.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The scenario I am thinking of is in the use of PB for website publishing where I publish news items to my website and want to have an easy mechanism to remove them after a certain period has elapsed. However, I'm sure there are other applications for this type of feature such as helping to keep your brain 'tidy' by automatically removing information that had expired. I guess there would need to be some form of confirmation dialogue to allow the option of deleting or making the thoughts permanent.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Could shortcuts for pins be implemented?
    Something like Alt-1 for the 1st pin, Alt-2 for the second, and so on from left to right up to Alt-0.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I'm working with my Brain on two different computers and on one them sometimes on the laptop's own screen and sometimes on the large screen connected to the docking station. The way I like to have the layout on the large screen is very different from the layout I use on the laptop's limited screen size. If I could save the different layouts with different names and select them like I can do with themes that would be cool!

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. When input something requiring explicit ordering, auto numbering of children Thoughts can be very convenient, instead of putting the numbers by hand one by one.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=3150268

I realize there are several items listed here but this is kind of an all or nothing request.

1. Smart Thoughts should be able to have parent and jump thoughts as a part of the normal brain structure.
    2. Normal thoughts should be able to be converted into Smart Thoughts by selecting which tag(s) the Smart Thought applies to in the Thought Properties dialog.
    3. Clicking on a tag in the Tags tab should NOT automatically open that tag's Smart Thought (maybe double click instead?). Having the Smart Thought automatically open adds needless extra navigation editing the tag properties.
    5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. It would be very nice if PB provides the following options:

• Highlight thoughts "modified" in the past [n minutes / n days];
    • Highlight thoughts "activated" in the past [n minutes / n days];
    • Highlight last [0 or n] "modified" thoughts;
    • Highlight last [0 or n] "activated" thoughts;
    0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. "Outline view" is kind of "heuristic" classic view (chapter into chapter into chapter... like in a classic document).

it would very useful to export as text all the branches attached to the selected view in the outline view.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?